Happy Canadian Thanksgiving everyone! The simplistic notion behind this holiday to be thankful never fails to ground me and remind me of how truly blessed we are. There’s something so significant about being given a weekend to take a step back and look in panoramic vision at all aspects of our lives. Holidays like this are always times that I can’t help but surrender to that voice in the back of my head reminding me how much has changed since this time last year. I use holidays as landmarks and milestones in my life. I look back and think “at this time last year I was doing this, I was with them, thinking about this, dreaming about that…” And here I am today with a completely new set of “this, thems and thats” to be proud of. Some, I had no idea would have ever happened to me, and for that I am grateful. Others, I’m still disappointed in, but for that I am grateful too. I’ve learned that to be truly appreciative of life we have to relish the highs and grow stronger from the lows. To be truly thankful is to appreciate each facet of the cards we’ve been handed and find beauty in every moment no matter what that encompasses.
Nevertheless, whether this weekend is Thanksgiving for you or not, take this as a conscious reminder to take a step back from the restlessness of daily life and remind yourself of how far you’ve come, the current blessings you’re surrounded with and who you were at this time last year. To be endlessly thankful for every opportunity that has helped you grow, for every person you met that widened your perspective and for each blessing that was buried within a struggle.
With this in mind and time on my hands to reflect, I’ve decided to innovate a new concept for my blog called “the monthly edit” in which I will summarize a few key products that I’ve been loving in the current month and will continue to love into the coming month. They’ll range from beauty to fashion and even lifestyle products that I’ve been obsessed with and hope to inspire you to pick up a few of my faves as well! Below you can find my monthly “October edit.”
1. Midi/Sock Boots: This trend has been everywhere this Fall! I find the cut of mid-rise boots super flattering, especially when tucked on top of skinny jeans and matched with a dress or shorts! Shop here.
2. Bandanas: I’ve been LOVING all things neck scarves this month. This is such a fun way to add a pop of colour to an outfit and something unexpected. I tend to tie them in a knot and let the ends hang towards the side of my neck or wrap the entire piece into a choker-style necklace. Shop here.
3. “Autumn” Candle: This is regretfully BASIC, but I couldn’t help but add this candle fave into the edit! As per usual fall rituals, I spent a good portion of my Saturday afternoon sniffing all the Bath & Body Works candles and this had to be my favourite! It’s fresh & subtle without being too sweet and claims to have notes of “Bright Red Gala Apple, Juicy Fig, Eucalyptus Leaf and Fir Balsam.” Shop here.
4. Mauve Nails: My Fall 2016 Fall transition shade has most definitely been darker mauves & taupes. This is such a simple way to shift over to the darker colours without going full blown Navy or Black. My favourite this October has been “Take Me to Thread” from the Essie Gel Couture collection. (Check out my review of this product if you haven’t already.) Shop here.
5. Taupe Lips: In similar fashion, I’ve found myself gravitating towards darker lip colours this month! Maybelline Gone Greige was one of my go-to colours for a night out or mixed with a lighter nude for a day-time look. It looks intimidating at first, but this taupe is such a subtle way to incorporate a bolder lip colour into your regular makeup routine! Shop here.
6. Duster Coats: I’ve been totally on board with the duster coat trend recently! I will admit, at first I was super skeptical due to my petite stature but I’ve actually been really embracing this trend. The duster coat adds an instant celeb-like glamour to any outfit and is such a great lightweight outerwear option for these sweater weather months. Shop here.
There you have it! My monthly October faves all in one post. I truly wish you all the best month and hope you found some inspiration through my words and recommendations!