With Halloween just around the corner, I thought it was time to officially share the costumes I created for 2016! Ever since I was a little girl Halloween has ALWAYS been my favourite holiday. I thought there was something so enchanting about the ability to dress up and be someone else for one night- whether it be scary, your greatest idol or a group costume with a bunch of friends! Obviously as the years passed the trick or treating turned to celebrating Halloween a little differently, but all the same that magic inside me never died to embody the holiday and craft my very own alternative identity for one night.
I love having costumes that are unique to me and no one else has the same! This year I decided to be Holly Golightly from Breakfast at Tiffanys and a snowflake. I’ll outline the steps I took into creating these pieces and hopefully you’ll find some inspiration for some last minute costumes or ideas for next year as well!
Recently I discovered this silver bodysuit in my closet and decided Halloween would be the perfect time to craft an outfit using this piece as the base. I used a white and silver colour scheme complete with glittery shoes & makeup!
– Since I already owned a simple white skirt I decided to add a snow-like fluff to the bottom of it and make the skirt more festive. Tip: To ensure I didn’t ruin the skirt completely for future use, I used double sided tape to hold the fluff down and it seemed to hold all night with no issues!
– To make the ensemble look more uniform I added the fluff along the neck of the silver bodysuit as well! I definitely think this added a lot to the entire outfit and made the costume look store bought and as if everything flowed together.
– For the crown, I cut silver snowflakes in half and arranged them into the shape of a tiara around a silver headband. I added a row of jewels along the front as well individual jewels for extra sparkle.
– I completed the outfit with silver sparkly shoes that tied together with the glitter headband and metallic bodysuit flawlessly.
– For makeup, I stuck with the snow theme by creating a super intense highlight along my cheekbones and used a silver frosted lipstick. I also used eyelash glue to adhere silver snowflakes along the perimeter of my eye.
This costume was such a great last minute option that cost next to nothing! The movie Breakfast at Tiffany’s is by far my ultimate favourite movie and finally I decided to be Holly for Halloween! Holly’s style in the film is absolutely iconic but I couldn’t help but cultivate her pyjama look for Halloween this year! Her turquoise eye mask and purple tassel earrings were too adorable to pass up.
– I cut the shape of two eye masks from blue felt to adhere together and create the base of the mask.
– I cut a long gold string to tie around the back of my head and glued it in between the two masks to hide the ends.
– Next, I outlined the mask in a gold-braiding. Tip: Ensure the braiding matches up along one of the sides to make the cut in the string less obvious.
– I cut two eyelids out of the blue felt and attached them onto the mask in addition to gold tassel eyelashes and green studs inside.
– Using the same gold string I used to create the ties to hold the mask on, I cut two small pieces to use as eyebrows.
– I found two purple tassels and simply glued the ends into a circle that would allow a stud earring to slip through.
– I wore a simple white button up top as a dress alongside the earring and mask accessory. I thought another cute addition was a stuffed Tabby cat to mimic her “cat” from the film! I also held a martini glass to really cultivate my inner Holly.
Hair & Makeup:
– For my hair, I teased the entire crown section and pulled it into a messy half-up look similar to hers from the film.
– For makeup, I kept it quite simple and dewy on the face but ensured to create a bold cat-eye and false lashes similar to Holly’s!
Hope you enjoyed a quick run through of my Halloween costumes. Happy Halloween everyone! Stay safe and truly enjoy the magic of being someone else- even if it’s just for one night!